Interview time! 2: Eclectic Boogaloo

I would like to preface this by saying that for a person who has apparently lived in like a billion places, I don't feel like I've lived in a lot of different places. :(

These questions are from Sarah:

1. dude. you've lived in like a billion places. which one was the easiest to live in, and why?
Home is always easiest. There's free laundry and people make me dinner! That said, it's not always easy to live at home and this baby bird does look forward to fleeing the nest (or being shoved out by the Mama and Papa Birds and living in a cardboard nest on the street, begging for worms). But in terms of "ease" of living, home is where it's at.

2. dude. you've lived in like a billion places. which one was your least favorite, and why?
My most unhappy experience was, of course, my internship this summer in the Loire Valley. That said, I was in the Loire Valley. The location had nothing to do with my misery - it was great and swell and amazing. Even the abbey was a pretty spectacular piece of work. It all boils down to the people and the fact that I was really unhappy working there.

3. dude. you've lived in like a billion places. how did you end up at albion college with a bachelor's in french (which somehow seems almost as useless as a ba in english...)?
What? French is a very useful degree! You can...

Well, you can...

Okay, not very useful. But ever since high school, I saw my undergrad degree as the first step on the way to a master's. I had to get a degree in something before I could go to library school, and French was something I liked and was good at. And I'd get to study abroad!

4. the degree you're getting now (an MSI [what's the "i" for]) seems a far cry from french and humanties and the like. what drew you to it?
MSI is a Master of Science in Information. As J points out, we will all soon be able to start signing things as MASTERS OF INFORMATION! Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Anyway, back to the rest of the question. Technically, the general MSI isn't that far from the humanities. It's the study of all that is information! I think a lot of people are coming from humanities and social science backgrounds, although they usually have more luck in the Library & Information Services or Archives & Records Management specializations. I'm in Human-Computer Interaction, which is probably best for those with backgrounds in computer science or psychology. We humanities people are often a bit weak, but I like to think that we bring a "real-world" influence to the program and help the CS people realize who they're designing for. Something like that.

As for why I was drawn from French to Information, it was actually sort of the other way around (see previous question).

5. isn't it cool that we have the same name? why did your parents give it to you (biblical reasons, your 5th aunt on your father's side was name it, etc)?
Little bit from column A... little bit from column B... It's a family name but I can't remember exactly who I'm named for. My sister and I both have Old Testament names, so that's probably significant. My middle name comes from Abigail Adams, second First Lady of the US (as well as first Second Lady! I bet she was confused.) I'm sure srahmom will chime in and fill you all in on the exact background of my name.

This is a meme, so if you're interested in being interviewed by me, here are the rules:

1. Leave me a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones above.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

srah - Thursday, 21 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

gravatar alfie - April 21, 2005 - 1:19 PM -

Interview me, please!

gravatar Anonymous - April 21, 2005 - 2:19 PM -

What if we don't have a blog? We can't be interview? No one cares about us? :-(

gravatar bobby - April 21, 2005 - 3:58 PM -

Your questions are up on my blog!

gravatar Cheryl - April 21, 2005 - 5:23 PM -

You can't interview me, but I want to let you know that I've made exactly $250 off MY French degree!

gravatar mommy - April 21, 2005 - 10:01 PM -

Sarah was named for Sarah McN*** McClaughry. When her dad and I were on our honeymoon (a tour of New England so I could meet and be met by all her father's dead relatives) we visited one of the old homesteads. We were invited in by the new owners who regaled me with stories about the McN***s. It was then that I decided that it might be nice (if we ever had a daughter) to name her Sarah. Abigail, did indeed, come from Abigail Adams, one of the preeminient women of her time. I hoped that our little Abigail might follow in her footsteps in intellect and strength of character.

[edited by srah to obfuscate my last name!]

gravatar srah - April 22, 2005 - 1:20 AM -

...our honeymoon (a tour of New England so I could meet and be met by all her father's dead relatives)...

This is SO US. Ack.

gravatar Not Your MOM - April 22, 2005 - 8:41 AM -

My son was named for a visiting Prince from England....now divorced from Sarah. Not much of a story there other than the Prince came to the city we lived in back in '79. And no I didn't get to see him, but I read about him in the paper.

My son's middle name was picked only because it went with the first name and we felt obligated to give him a middle name. My grandfather never had a middle name which I always thought was odd.

gravatar alfie - April 22, 2005 - 9:14 AM -

Wait, why did you give me my name?

Oh yeah, your questions are up on my blog too.

gravatar Cari - April 22, 2005 - 11:27 AM -

Interview me!!!

gravatar srah - April 22, 2005 - 11:29 AM -

No, you smell.

Questions and answers are coming soon, folks. I'm in finals mode!

gravatar kira - April 22, 2005 - 1:31 PM -

I would also like to be interviewed. And I promise to respond more quickly than I responded to Jamelah...

gravatar jamelah - April 22, 2005 - 4:28 PM -

and now you have to interview me, because... um, because.

gravatar srah - April 23, 2005 - 2:21 PM -

So many questions to ask! I may get lazy.

Cari:
1. What do you like best about yourself? (Feel free to make a long, train of thought list)
2. I see you as the kind of person who can do anything she sets her mind to! Has there ever been anything you just couldn't do?
3. When did you realize you wanted to do HCI? Have your feelings about HCI changed at all over the past 2 years?
4. What's the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten?
5. What do you find most attractive in a man?

Kira:
2. What do you think is the most valuable thing you learned at Albion?
3. How do you see your life at age 65?
4. Why do you blog?
5. What's your favorite Life Savers flavor?

Jamelah:
2. Who has/have most influenced your writing style?
3. What's your favorite dessert/candy/sweet thing?
4. If you could do anything in the world (money/time/silliness not a factor), what would you be doing right now?
5. What's your favorite restaurant?

Am I missing anyone?

gravatar srah - April 23, 2005 - 2:24 PM -

Oh yes!

Alfie:

2. If you hadn't gotten involved in athletic training, what do you think your present/future would be like?
3. What characteristics make people attractive to you? ("Characteristics" being not just physical but personal attributes, and "people" being friends, partners, blogs you read, people you meet on the street...)
4. What do you want to get out of your semester in Scotland?
5. What's your favorite book that's not written by Jane Austen?

gravatar alfie - April 23, 2005 - 2:26 PM -

What? There are books written by people other than Jane Austen? Where have I been since 1818?