Previous entry:
« Ear culture?

Back (and front) in black

I was reading a style-biography of Audrey Hepburn that I found in our common room yesterday. I think I'd like to be her when I grow up. I could come back from France all Sabrinafied! I suppose I would have to, like, wear makeup or buy designer clothes or care or something, though, so I guess that's out.

I'm wearing a black sweater, black trousers and black shoes today. I don't think I would ever dress all in black in the States. There, its like you're in mourning or you're making some kind of statement. I don't feel weird about doing it here, though, which is nice because a lot of the clothes I brought along are black.

srah - Friday, 2 July 2004 - 2:54 PM
Tags: ,

gravatar MaTT - July 2, 2004 - 4:57 PM -

You'd fit right in in New York City! Black is the official color of clothing here... especially when dressing up. You'd still be making a statement, but more like "yeah, i know i look goooood..." ;)

gravatar Annica - July 3, 2004 - 9:09 AM -

So, would you rather snog William Holden or Greg Kinnear? Oh, wait... Let me re-phrase that: Bogie or Harry?

Black is good. Embrace the black.

gravatar alfie - July 3, 2004 - 9:31 AM -

I think she'd go for HF at that time period. GK and WH is a more difficult choice because GK is cuter, but WH has a history of people playing with his ears.

gravatar Annica - July 3, 2004 - 9:43 AM -

But, but HF has been so... non-Harry lately. Boring, even. Personally, I think the then-Bogie kicks the now-Harry's derrire. Yeah...

Indeed, GK is cuter, but whenever there is playing with ears, cuteness is irrelevant, no? Ears must be fondled. WH it must be.

gravatar alfie - July 3, 2004 - 12:42 PM -

Yes, but HF then was still cute, it was only the entrance of CF into his life that really sent him into a downward spiral. I think she might try to get GK to let her fondle his ears.

gravatar srah - July 4, 2004 - 3:05 PM -

Um, I think I agree. Although... Greg Kinnear isn't that cute...

gravatar pea - July 5, 2004 - 4:22 AM -

My mother used to ask me who I was mourning whenever I wore all black back in the day. I used to tell her she needed to get with the times. Black is cool. I love black because it's so effortless, when you're wearing it that is. Shopping for it can be a little trickier as you have to make sure you buy black pieces that are quite distinct from one another or else you run the risk of people thinking you've been wearing the same black slacks for the past week. :D

gravatar Jez - July 5, 2004 - 10:19 AM -

Oooh - I just found your fancy pop-up photo section on the left there. V. nice.

gravatar Cheryl - July 5, 2004 - 4:46 PM -

If you threw on a "bidet", we could call you Beatnik Sarah (What if they made Beatnik Barbie? That'd be cool). One of my students once was dressed like a Beatnik - or almost, which made it so much worse. He had on his black turtleneck and his beret (maybe it was one of those Britney Spears hats, but it was close) and had his little soul patch and some dark-framed glasses...but then he was wearing faded, whiskered jeans. I had to hold back the giggles lest I interrupt the exam they were taking.