Previous entry:
« Dream

'Green Eggs and Ham?'

My User Interface Design group had a... uh... meeting last night (a meeting which consisted of drinks, dinner, Outburst, Taboo and poker) and got to talking about how nerdy everyone at SI is. They disagree.

They don't consider themselves nerds because they don't think they're smart enough or work hard enough. And yet, despite their love for the Lord of the Rings and younger propensities for Magic: The Gathering (you know who you are), they don't consider themselves geeks. Dorks didn't seem to appeal to them either.

How difficult are they? Just accept one name and embrace it, because you are it, folks, and only getting worse! You can't hide! SI will bring you down!

srah - Friday, 10 October 2003 - 7:17 AM
Tags: ,

gravatar Spike - October 10, 2003 - 6:59 PM -

Personally, I'd say geeks were smarter than nerds, who in turn are smarter than dorks. Dorks are just clever people with no social skills. Nerds are the same, but *really smart* people with no social skills. Geeks are those who know their stuff so well they don't *need* social skills... :)

gravatar srah - October 10, 2003 - 7:01 PM -

Well what the heck am I then? I am super smart and super modest and have some social skills but am also prone to quoting Monty Python and talking about Red Dwarf and Star Wars if so provoked.

gravatar alfie - October 10, 2003 - 7:44 PM -

Modest...you?

gravatar Jez - October 10, 2003 - 7:56 PM -

I prefer the label 'professional linguist' to 'language nerd'.

gravatar CommanderFalafel - October 10, 2003 - 8:25 PM -

I always interpreted the geek-dork-nerd relationship differently. Geeks are the people interested in the cool things that the rest of society aren't really into. Nerds are wicked smart people with poor social skills (like Stephen Hawking), and dorks are average-intelligence people with poor social skills. So... one could be a totally popular geek. Or a nerd that doesn't like geeky things. Or a geeky dork, who likes things like Star Wars, but isn't particularly good at things.
Anyways, that's just what I've always thought...

gravatar srah - October 10, 2003 - 11:08 PM -

That makes sense to me. Then there are geek wannabes like my groupmates. Not quote Monty Python indeed!

gravatar katie - October 11, 2003 - 8:34 AM -

I think you are all weenies, because who the heck spends their time defining the nerd-dork-geek relationship, anyway?

And you forgot 'dweeb', by the way.

gravatar srah - October 11, 2003 - 9:02 AM -

Uh... me? (sarcasm) I'm surprised you didn't get that one.

HA! HA! HA! *SNORT*!

gravatar Justin - October 12, 2003 - 12:22 AM -

I embrace my geekism. But I draw the line at role playing games. That's just weird.