I'm blue dabndeedabndie

Well, how about that. The old blue looked way too bright on the campus computers, so I've gone for something a bit more subdued. Please let me know what you think or if you think I need to change something to make it more legible or better-organized. I've also added a script so that expanded entries expand on the same page rather than linking to the archived version. I hope eventually to learn PHP so that I can collapse my archives and make the left column a bit more navigable. But you shall have to wait, duckies.

Do tell, too, how it looks in something other than IE 6.0 on Windows 98 at a 1024x768 resolution... because of course, that's all that I've tested it in. I will probably ignore everything you say, but at least you can make me feel guilty.

srah - Sunday, 14 September 2003 - 12:06 PM

gravatar Annica - September 14, 2003 - 12:43 PM -

Oh, so you haven't gotten to the True Blue chapter yet? (Or isn't that Jakob Nielsen? - I don't remember...)

But screw the old people, that's what I say! Nice new layout.

gravatar Annica - September 14, 2003 - 12:45 PM -

(Ok, there's supposed to be a "tsk tsk" smilie after the first paragraph, and a "thumbs up" smilie after the second. You'll have to imagine that, I suppose... *messed up*)

gravatar srah - September 14, 2003 - 12:48 PM -

Damned usability folks. I guess that's why I'm taking the class...

gravatar TheCatWhisperer (Christien Lomax) - September 14, 2003 - 1:22 PM -

Umm.. the left tables are squashed into the mian tables on the right on my PC (Windows 2000, SP4/IE 6, 1280x1024). But the colors are nice and simple :)

gravatar srah - September 14, 2003 - 1:24 PM -

Which is on top?

gravatar srah - September 14, 2003 - 1:29 PM -

Better now?

gravatar katie - September 14, 2003 - 2:15 PM -

Looks good on IE 5.5 and very much NOT good on Netscape 4.79. Way too many problems there to list here. CSS-related, both positioning and formatting.

Overall, I like it. The menu items are kinda dark on the already-dark background. And having all that stuff in one menu makes it really long...

gravatar Erica - September 14, 2003 - 2:15 PM -

The blue looks the same to me. Now I see the posts on the top and the sidebars are at the bottom, stretched all the way across the screen (like it was before, only the posts were on the bottom).

gravatar katie - September 14, 2003 - 2:15 PM -

And why, oh why did you not put Mortimer in the menu? Huh? HUH????

gravatar Erica - September 14, 2003 - 2:17 PM -

And that's all in Safari, btw, and now this comments box is a different color blue than it was before. Holy shit, and now the whole damn thing looks different. Disregard the previous comment.

gravatar Jez - September 14, 2003 - 2:18 PM -

V. nice. Your page loads much faster than it did before.

gravatar kait - September 14, 2003 - 2:19 PM -

if you really want to know, it's awfully hard to read when your computer's suddenly decided that the same old monitor it's been using for years and years is only capable of VGA 16-color graphics.

but then again, so is everything else unless it's written on black or white, so i wouldn't worry about it :) i need to quit whining and fix this.

from the rough approximation my screen's giving me, the new color scheme looks lovely!

kait

gravatar srah - September 14, 2003 - 2:21 PM -

Ha ha!

If they're going to be separated, I'd rather have the posts on top anyway. Which is what it seems to be doing in Netscape 7.0. Wonder why this is. Does Netscape still not support CSS positioning? Turds.

Do I really need to worry my pretty little head about Netscrape 4.79 when anybody who's anybody is now up to 7.0? I think I shan't.

gravatar srah - September 14, 2003 - 2:23 PM -

Netscape 7.0 has decided that *some* of my posts, but not all, should be right-justified. How creative of it. DIE DIE DIE!

gravatar patricia - September 15, 2003 - 1:48 AM -

i like the blue. but then, i would since i'm a blue girl. the font is a little small, but i'm blind and never remember to put on my reading glasses so this could be a user problem. :D the links on the side are a little dark (some of them are in white and that shows up really well though). but see comment above about being blind.

you could always use the show/hide anything script from scripty goddess to collapse your archive info. works the same way that the collapse entries script does, except you can use it to (as the name implies) hide anything. i use it all over my site.

gravatar denzylle - September 15, 2003 - 5:05 AM -

It's way too dark for me, and too much to the left with nothing but black on the right. Also, the text size is just about as small as I can read. When you quote songs, they are too small for me to read. Sorry it's all complaining, but I do find it difficult, instead of enjoyable.

gravatar richard - September 15, 2003 - 7:17 AM -

I miss the bridge.
The "visited links" in the left column don't have enough contrast w/ the background.
Everything else is alright w/ me.

My webhost's servers seem to be down this morning

gravatar richard - September 15, 2003 - 7:19 AM -

oh, and I like that the links within these comment boxes open up a seperate window now. How did you make that happen?

gravatar srah - September 15, 2003 - 7:30 AM -

They don't do that on my computer!

gravatar srah - September 15, 2003 - 7:31 AM -

Now that I've learned that I can make the links different colors in the two columns, I should be able to do something about the contrast.

gravatar Mr. Hibbity Gibbity - September 15, 2003 - 7:50 AM -

I like the color scheme. Much more friendly and inviting to my eyes. Danke.

gravatar katie - September 15, 2003 - 8:04 AM -

Left-side link colors are much better now. Still waiting for Mortimer. Also, your webrings (cliques) code is making its text much larger than your other left-side link text, so that it's doing strange stickie-out things. (IE 5.5 on Windows 2000 800x600)

And btw richard, it was an aqueduct, not a bridge. Well, it was also used as a bridge, but you see my point.

gravatar richard - September 15, 2003 - 8:33 AM -

ahhhh,
no matter what the color, or the banner, I see that I will never miss Katie's corrective hand.

gravatar srah - September 15, 2003 - 9:22 AM -

It's the Pont du Gard. Pont means bridge. See, Richard knew that and called it by its literal translation. Didn't you, Richard? (hint: say yes)

gravatar katie - September 15, 2003 - 9:27 AM -

A rose by any other name...

Call an aqueduct a bridge if you like. It's still an aqueduct. >:oP

gravatar richard - September 15, 2003 - 9:33 AM -

yeah, right. The only french I know is fries, toast & kiss.

but k. reminds me of the old riddle:
How many legs does a sheep have if you call a tail a leg?

the answer is four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

gravatar Jez - September 15, 2003 - 10:13 AM -

Arrrr - carn't waits 'til Friday, ye scurvy dog.

gravatar TheCatWhisperer - September 15, 2003 - 10:57 AM -

Um, i found the whol page render MUCH beter when you remove the annoying CSS/P and change to Tables.. takes a few milliseconds longer to render, but atleast it works in ALL browsers the same.. if you wants an example, or some help, let me know..

gravatar srah - September 15, 2003 - 11:02 AM -

Way-ull... yes, I could go back to tables, but I think CSS-P is going to be the way of the future and eventually all browsers will be able to handle it. I guess.

Are you seeing it any better now?

gravatar katie - September 15, 2003 - 1:29 PM -

Can you see her now? Good.

Can you see her now? Good.

Can you see her now? Good.

gravatar srah - September 15, 2003 - 2:37 PM -

Denz - what's your screen resolution?

gravatar richard - September 15, 2003 - 3:18 PM -

My screen resolution is:

"I will not spend too much time in front of the screen"

gravatar katie - September 16, 2003 - 8:52 AM -